Nintendo Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nintendo Fan Community and Review site for Over 18's Only

4 posters

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS)

Waldy565

Nintendo Stars : 4113

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS) Empty Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS)

Post  Waldy565 Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Firstly, before you rush out and buy this, I recommend looking for either Superstar Saga (on GBA) or Bowser's Inside Story (DS), because this game is so hard to find! Anyway, I'm hoping this review will tell you why!
    Let's start with graphics. It is a cartoon style even more so than the NSMB titles and Galaxy titles, as though everything has been hand drawn. It compliments the tongue-in-cheek nature of the game though, so it's a good thing. The fact that the cartoon style graphics take up less processing power on the DS also allow for more of a open world. The world is a massive place, all interconnected by portals within the games central hub (even though I found I didn't spend much time there!), Peach's Castle.
    Story. Just a brief overview here as to not give too much away. Bowser has invaded Peach's Castle! Oh no! Mario and Luigi come in to save the day however (this is nice as it shows you a tutorial for the battle controls, which I will be going into later) Once M+L have saved the day, Shroobs start to attack Peach's castle. These Shroobs take away the Cobalt Star, and shatter it! M+L must retrieve the Cobalt Star to rescue Peach! (who now has a, er, purple spotty mushroom thing on her face, much like an Alien Facehugger. Portals then start to pop-up all over the castle, and M+L's baby forms come out from the future, as does Toadsworth's future self and baby Peach. And so, M+L and there baby forms go to save Peach!
    Controls. The babies can hop onto M+L's backs, therefore "piggybacking" them, and when you do control them, everyone is mapped to the D-Pad. Mario jumps via A, Luigi B, Baby Mario, X which leaves Baby Luigi on Y. This also transfers to the battle system, and is one of your base attacks. Hammer attacks can also be used, as can items. A couple of thoughts: two items, Fire and Ice Flower, have you "spamming" the A and B buttons respectively to release ice/fire balls. This may be a reference to when people "spam" buttons to "grind" through RPG's. Another thought is the Copy Flower, which reminds me a lot of the Mii Parade on the Wii Mii Channel (try saying that 5 times when you've had a few beers!)
    Overall, it really depends on your taste. I enjoyed the funny moments, and Luigi always being the one who had bad luck was very funny, and personally that's what helps hold the game for me. I would like to play Bowser's Inside Story to see if it changes my mind, but as of now Mario and Luigi don't relate to well to the RPG series. As it is, my score for this game is 80%. Definetly worth having a go in the series!
    Kent Hammer
    Kent Hammer
    Admin

Nintendo Stars : 4560

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS) Empty Re: Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS)

Post  Kent Hammer Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Great review mate, glad you joined us! Very Happy

Would be great if you could make a post in the new members thread too.

Also add a banner to your review and some pics if you get time
    ChaosControl
    ChaosControl

Nintendo Stars : 4388

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS) Empty Re: Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time review (DS)

Post  ChaosControl Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 am

Nice review. But I think maybe a little more detail is needed. I adore the Mario and Luigi games I have them all. I actually got Partner's in Time first and it was Superstar Saga I struggled to find.

These games I love more than any other Mario title. purely because of how well written they are. I always laugh out loud when I play them. Particularly the 2 brainwashed Hammer Bros using 1337 speak.
    But oh.......you just reminded me of Baby Peach's ear-splitting wailing throughout most of that game!!! Mad
    Colne Crusader
    Colne Crusader

Nintendo Stars : 4369

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 am

Nice one Waldy.
    Waldy565

Nintendo Stars : 4113

Post  Waldy565 Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks everyone, will do Kent! Got a lot of time on my hands this week to be fair, so I'll try and do some reviews
    Kent Hammer
    Kent Hammer
    Admin

Nintendo Stars : 4560

Post  Kent Hammer Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 am

Nice one, you should still be able to edit both your existing reviews and add pics and spacing etc

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 4:25 am