Nintendo Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nintendo Fan Community and Review site for Over 18's Only

3 posters

Super Mario 3D Land Review

ChaosControl
    ChaosControl

Nintendo Stars : 4388

Super Mario 3D Land Review Empty Super Mario 3D Land Review

Post  ChaosControl Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 am

Aahh Mario. How we've come accustomed to your cheery face and chirpy catchphrases. We never tire of hearing your world famous theme tune. But best of all, you're back with some ace platforming, bright colours and laugh out loud moments.

Yes, I have finally completed Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS (in case you couldn't tell).
    Super Mario 3D Land Review SuperMario3DLand_zpsefef7cba

My first impressions include sheer joy at the colourful graphics and pure excitement at seeing the 3D function on my 3DS for the first time. Once I'm in position, I feel fully immersed into Mario's 3D world. Especially with my headphones in blaring the awesome updated classical tunes of Mario's wide and varied history. The music even had me giggle at one point with a quick little nod to the Legend of Zelda franchise.

I was a little bit disappointed with the rapid ease at which I was flying through each of the 8 worlds. I quickly found lots of challenges within the levels to keep me occupied however. Collecting the three giant coins and also trying to get to the top of the flag pole in each level, turning it gold. Collecting all of the giant coins, in this game I found much easier to do than normal. I was beginning to wonder if this was a dummied down version of the classic Mario we all know and love.

Then I got to a particular level in World 6 which stumped me for a while. This is more like it! I died about 5 times and got the gist of the rhythm of the level. This time I'm gonna get to the flag pole, I've cracked it I know what to do.....uh....what's this box that's suddenly appeared?
    On the 6th attempt the magical Golden Tanooki suit appeared. "Cool." I thought....
    Now, I've heard the term "overpowered" thrown about quite a bit on various internet forums, but my goodness! After equipping the Golden Tanooki suit all the practice and skill I had gained were completely irrelevant now. As I blasted through the level, which was I have to admit fun, I couldn't help but feel a little bit cheated of my "conquering a tough level" moment.
    Not only can Golden Tanooki Mario fly, but he's invincible.....SUPER invincible. I KILLED a spike trap! I didn't know you could kill swinging spike traps.
    After I completed the level I got to keep the suit, but it became a regular Tanooki outfit.

Super Mario 3D Land Review Super-Mario-3D-Land-3_zps844ed53e

Before too long, I had defeated Bowser, rescued Peach and watched the credits roll.
    But just as I was losing hope for Nintendo and Mario's future, another 8 worlds showed up!
    That was just the first half of the game. Now there's harder versions of the levels and no Golden Tanooki to save you this time. I've lost over 100 lives on one particular level and the game had to be physically wrenched from my frantic, button mashing hands as I became that addicted to the new levels. "Just one more go!" I was crying out.

Not only the new levels though. Now the game was completed I had a new task. Streetpass rivals!
    Every day a new rival would pop up on one of my previously perfected levels. Each time it got harder and harder to maintain my score.....I wonder who'll be next to try and take my Mario throne?

I've played the game again and again since. Despite being VERY easy initially, the game was still lots of fun and the streetpass aspect of it is a nice touch, bringing you back for more. Now I'm trying to get all 5 stars on my gaming profile by trying to max out the number of lives I have! It's harder than I thought....

Overall Score: 8/10. Very easy for a main Mario title, but the 3D is well implemented, the gameplay is still fun and I never tire of causing distress to my younger brother as he repeatedly tries and fails to beat my score.
    Kent Hammer
    Kent Hammer
    Admin

Nintendo Stars : 4560

Super Mario 3D Land Review Empty Re: Super Mario 3D Land Review

Post  Kent Hammer Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 am

Awesome review!

Lots of personality in it and I like that style.

Easy is good, I love easy, wish more games were fun and easy.
    benleslie5
    benleslie5

Nintendo Stars : 4110

Post  benleslie5 Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:17 am

Great review, I still need to pick up this game
    ChaosControl
    ChaosControl

Nintendo Stars : 4388

Post  ChaosControl Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:12 am

benleslie5 wrote:Great review, I still need to pick up this game
    Thanks guys.

Yes you do! I love this game so much! It has so much personality and charm. Like pretty much all Mario games! You'll love it!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 9:42 am