Nintendo Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nintendo Fan Community and Review site for Over 18's Only

4 posters

Mario Kart 7 - review

Slayer1189

Nintendo Stars : 4236

Mario Kart 7 - review Empty Mario Kart 7 - review

Post  Slayer1189 Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Developer: Nintendo/Retro Studios
    Publisher: Nintendo

With every new Nintendo home console and handheld comes a new Mario Kart game. It has become a staple series for Nintendo and has a large fanbase.

The gameplay stays true to the series but also adds its own quirks and features to create a unique experience. For those who have never played a Mario Kart game, the series consists of hectic karting through wacky Mario game themed tracks. Mario Kart 7 is a simple 'pick up and play' entry into the series which suits its handheld format well.

Mario Kart 7 is packed full of gameplay modes and features. First and foremost there is Grand Prix mode. This mode is the main feature of every Mario Kart game. In Mario Kart 7 there are eight Grand Prix cups, each with four tracks. Four of these cups contain new tracks whilst contain favourite tracks from previous games in the series. That's a total of 16 all new tracks and 16 classic tracks - plenty to keep a player occupied. In true Mario Kart fashion, each Grand Prix can be played at different CC's (Speed//Difficulty) which includes 50CC, 100CC, 150CC and lastly Mirror mode. All the classic item power-ups return such as stars (invulnerability and faster movement), shells (various attacking items), bananas (road hazards) and mushrooms (speed boosts).

Mario Kart 7 is definitely a family friendly title; a lack of advanced karting techniques results in a gentle learning curve. Don't go thinking this results in smooth sailing and a simple game overall, however. Though the Grand Prix's don't pose too much of a challenge, you receive a star rating based on the players performance (ranging from 0-3). Achieving three stars on some of the harder tracks will require precise driving and a bit of luck with items.

The tracks have been reinvented by adding features previously not found in the series. For instance, though some tracks retain the three lap system, some others now have three sections which carry on from one another to create a single, extra long track. One such track that implements this feature is Rainbow Road, which I personally think utilises sections very well and find it one of the most most enjoyable and well designed renditions of Rainbow Road in the series.
    Other additions include underwater driving and gliding sections after zooming off certain ramps.

These features add a degree of variety to the tracks on top of allowing a number of different paths and shortcuts. It's not just the new tracks that received gliding and underwater sections either - all classic tracks continue to work on a three lap system, with underwater and gliding sections added in. This retains some favourites of the fans whilst adding more depth and keeping things fresh. My only issue with the gliding sections is that it can increase the time frame in which a blue shell can strike whilst over a chasm - which can easily result in a secure 1st position becoming 5th or 6th in seconds.

Finally, there is the addition of customisable karts. The body, glider and wheels can be fully customized. In turn, this effects stats such as weight, speed and acceleration. This lessens the need to search for a character as you can customise any kart to suit your personal karting style - however, character choice does still slightly affect kart stats.

Other single player modes include Time Trial, Balloon Battle and Coin Runners. Time Trial is just as you would imagine; you can race around a track of choice with the purpose of setting the fastest time possible. Time Trial also has the feature to race against ghosts where the player can race against a number of different ghosts including your own personal best, your friends' best or even seven ghosts at the same time from players around the world. Although the time trials are enjoyable and have a wide range of ghosts to compete with and tracks to choose from, I found it to be less fulfilling than some retail counterparts such as Double Dash and Wii (this being due to the lack advanced tactics to master such as 'snaking' or wheeling in bikes).

There are 17 characters to choose from in Mario Kart 7, eight of which are available from the beginning with a further nine to be unlocked. These consist of many familiar faces such as Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Toad but also some less popular choice candidates such as Metal Mario, Wiggler, Honey Queen and you can even select your Mii.

Balloon battle is a game mode where the objective is to hit other players with weapons to deplete the number of balloons they have tied to their karts. Once all balloons are lost the player is eliminated. I personally did not find this mode to be exciting in comparison to Grand Prix and got bored quickly.

Coin Runner is an arena style mode where players rush to gain coins and steal the competition's coins by striking their karts with items; the player with the most coins at the end wins. Like Balloon Battle, I found this mode to be uneventful.

Outwith single-player there is a local multiplayer and online option. Local multiplayer requires friends with 3DS's to race against each other. Online multiplayer, however, can be played anytime with players around the globe. I found the online to be richly populated at all times of the day and never had any issues finding a game. The online is enjoyable and adds gameplay after Grand Prix has been exhausted. In online play you have rating which increases or decreases depending on what position you finish a race which provides a bit of motivation to play regularly and increase your rating.

The graphics in Mario Kart 7 are bold and colourful (which is standard for a game within the Mario franchise) and the scenery is varied with interactive environments. Tracks range drastically and include a beach, racing circuit, castle to settings such as a cruise ship, pinball machine and the famous Rainbow Road. The music is upbeat and catchy. Many of the classic tracks have the same tune present in their original games with similar and well presented jingles for the new tracks.

As far as replay value and longevity goes, Mario Kart 7 will take a few hours to beat each Grand Prix at each CC - however, gaining three stars for each Grand Prix could add a fair amount of extra hours as precise play is required to earn three stars (especially in Mirror mode). For those who greatly enjoy the online aspect of Mario Kart 7 or enjoy setting very fast time trial records then there is many hours to be had with this game. The online community doesn't seem to be dying at all so players can race until their hearts are content!

Overall, Mario Kart 7 is a great entry to the series and a very enjoyable game to play. Certainly one of the better games available on 3DS and easily one of the best Mario Kart games. The sheer quantity of new and old tracks coupled with the addition of several new features provides varied gameplay and something original to the old tried and tested formula. Online play could keep gamers coming back to this game for many hours making this installment easily worth a purchase. Personally, my only major issue with this game is the absence of advanced techniques such as 'snaking' and bike wheelies which led to me being less engrossed in the time trial mode (a mode which I spent a great many hours in throughout Double Dash and Wii). However, it still offers a great experience and in my opinion is the best handheld Mario Kart so far!

Rating: 8.5/10
    Kent Hammer
    Kent Hammer
    Admin

Nintendo Stars : 4561

Mario Kart 7 - review Empty Re: Mario Kart 7 - review

Post  Kent Hammer Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am

An awesome review of an awesome game! Very Happy
    Colne Crusader
    Colne Crusader

Nintendo Stars : 4370

Post  Colne Crusader Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Sterling work mate!

I haven't played a Mario Kart game since the snes strangely. Not sure why, just never got round to it. Enjoyed the review though. Very Happy Very Happy
    ChaosControl
    ChaosControl

Nintendo Stars : 4389

Post  ChaosControl Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Fantastic review dude. Just completed Super Mario 3D Land so I'll be doing my review soon....

Colne, what are you waiting for?? Mario Kart has come a long fantastical way from the snes days!! I'd heartily recommend MK7. It's my favourite so far.
    Slayer1189

Nintendo Stars : 4236

Post  Slayer1189 Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm

My two favourites by a long way are 7 and Double Dash. I prefer Double Dash to 7 but only down to a couple of minor preferences.

1) I prefer playing certain game types on a controller and other on a handheld. Karting or racing in general I prefer a controller.
    2) I really enjoy snaking as it constantly keeps you occupied while you play.

Both Are really great games though. Wii is also good but I never really got into the Grand Prix mode in that game.
    ChaosControl
    ChaosControl

Nintendo Stars : 4389

Post  ChaosControl Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 am

Ah! Now when it comes to controller then I definatly prefer racing games on a console. My fave is Mario Kart Wii for this as I loved the sterring wheel. It brought back a lot of fun memories for me when I used to play Mario Kart 64 at my friend's house and she had a wheel and pedal periferal. But for the ultimate Mario Kart race experience......Mario Kart Arcade!!!! Wow. Sitting in that leather seat with your steering wheel and pedals and then the massive screen which just blasts the magnificent vibrant graphics right into your face! Plus it has a feature where it takes a picture of you and you can Nintendo-fy your face. I gave myself Mario's mustache and hat. I looked rather adorable! Or you could Capcom yourself. My boyfriend turned himself into the pink ghost from Pacman. You could also choose Pacman and a few of the ghosts as playable characters! They've yet to perfect this for home use, but the closest to it I feel was Mario Kart Wii.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 11:52 am