Nintendo Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nintendo Fan Community and Review site for Over 18's Only

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates of Infinity DEMO (SOME SPOILERS)

Waldy565

Nintendo Stars : 4078

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates of Infinity DEMO (SOME SPOILERS) Empty Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates of Infinity DEMO (SOME SPOILERS)

Post  Waldy565 Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 pm

As with my Monster Hunter review, this is only the demo, but in giving you a whole hour of the "complete" game, I don't expect much will change, so you can kind of treat this as a "full" review.
    So, I came into this review with an open-mind: I had enjoyed playing through Mystery Dungeon Blue on my DS, and was naturally excited for Explorers of Time/Darkness. I picked it up, and I don't know what it was, but I only played it for a couple of days before getting really bored.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So, as I loaded it up, first thing you notice (as you should really) was the 3D effect. It's been used subtly, and I wasn't given any "wow" moments with it. The 3D models obviously look a lot better than the 2D sprites, but I'm gonna miss them. Ah well, I'll just play Blue if I want some 2D sprites! What I did notice was the game looked quite sparse. Sure, it was only the beginning of the game, but I remember the town in both Blue and Explorers being full of Pokemon to meet and things to do. They're were only, like, 10 inhabitants within Post Town.

The gameplay is standard dungeon crawling affair. L is used to bring up your moveset (just like in the main series games) and the types system (grass strong against water, grass weak to fire, fire weak to water) is all present and accounted for. R let's you pivot on a diagonal direction. A is just a standard attack, that uses no PP (which is like MP in other J/RPG's, letting you use a move a limited amount of times, unless you have a PP restoring item or after you complete a dungeon). B is used to run, and cancel in the menus. Y let's you face the nearest Pokemon (friend or foe) and X brings up the menu, so you can tweak options, view your moveset, view your stats (including your all-important HP, or health!) and can be used to access your items, such as Oran Berries, which restore HP. Start pauses the game.

The sound is, well, "there". It's not good or bad. It's certainly above average, but certainly not as memorable as some tracks from the main series. My friend says some of his favourite Pokemon tunes are from the Mystery Dungeon games, but I'd have to disagree. But then again, they get the job done, so it's all good.
    The story is that you have been turned into a Pokemon (like all the other subsequent games). You fall from the sky, but not before hearing another Pokemon's cry for help, then seeing a Munna being chased by a Hydreigon (think that's right...). You then choose whether to be one of the three Unova starter Pokemon (Snivy, or Smugleaf as I named her/him, in tribute to what fans wanted him/her to be called, Oshawott or Tepig), Axew, another Unova Pokemon, probably used for being one of the main Pokemon in the anime, and everyone's favourite, Pikachu (my partner)! Pikachu (or whoever your partner is) then explains he wants to make a Pokemon Paradise, somewhere where he/she can live and have adventures with other Pokemon. Pikachu/your Partner meets with Quagsire (after a brief Dungeon tutorial) who he/she has bought some land off. After a chilly night's sleep, your Pokemon and partner decide to build a house. Quagsire shows you around the main hub, Post Town, encouraging you to look at the shops and such, before meeting the carpenters. The head of the carpenters, a Gurdurr, asks you to bring him 5 gems so he can afford to get the supplies to build your house. And that's where I left it. It was enough time to judge the game.

So overall, should you get this game (or should you get it when it's released, hm EU gamers)? That all depends on whether you like RPG's. I should stress one feature I adore is that the save data from the demo, assuming you don't delete it, can be transferred over to the full game once purchased. I for one will be buying it, Pokemon was a massive part of my childhood, and the charm it had back then in 2003 (Gen 3 kid) is still present 10 years on. So, if you love replaying dungeons to get loot while playing as the charming critters, plus getting to see your Paradise grow and evolve (a lovely aspect, and one I love as me and my friend wanted to run a farm, built from the ground up, at one point), then yes, I wholeheartedly recommend you get it. And if you're a Pokemon fan that hasn't dabbled in any spin-offs yet, once again, I recommend the game. You'll recognize all your favourite critters, and will enjoy the RPG elements, like battling and hoarding. However, if you like fast-paced games, such as FPS's or action games (CoD, God of War, Starfox etc) or you like a really slow burning game, such as RTS' (Command and Conquer, Starcraft) then no, don't get this. Action fiends will find the slow-paced nature of this genre boring, and RTS fans will be shocked by the lack of options. But anyone who loves going into random dungeons, battling and hoarding, you'll probably have played a previous Mystery Dungeon game, and so you'll know what to expect. Not much has changed, but as the old saying goes (and Game Freak knows this well enough) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I give it 80/100.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm